Monday, December 17, 2007

The Road Not Taken


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost

* * *

This poem by Robert Frost, is one of my personal favorites because it hits close to home. I am also a traveler, with an ongoing, almost twenty five year journey. At some point, I can't help but think of all the 'roads' I have taken and not taken. I have learned that most roads go only one way. As soon as one decides to take a road, there is indeed no turning back. Even though one can always change paths farther along the way, the road that has been trod cannot be untrod. There are no u-turn slots, detours and shortcuts.

Choosing one road over another can make all the difference. I wonder where I would be today had I decided to take another road. Sometimes I feel the longing for taking another road, discovering new alleyways, unbeaten tracks, unknown corridors and hallways. And yet sometimes, I can't dare to leave the path I am taking, afraid to lose sight of the familiar and the comfortable.

So I keep marching on into the wilderness of uncertainty, hoping that I have chosen the right path. Where will this road take me? Twenty five years hence, If I'd be telling this with a sigh, - that I have taken the road less traveled by and it has made all the difference - would it be a sigh of contentment and happiness or a sigh of despair and misery?

3 comments:

Ronnie said...

incidentally that poem has been my fave too since highschool.

whenever I'm feelin low due to bad decisions made or failures encountered, i recite the poem to myself to assure my mind that while anything can go wrong, there is nothing to regret.

Anonymous said...

Hey there,I really like your profile picture and was wondering where it came from? I came across it before, but couldn't find it's source or artist. Thanks.

-Glenn

dorkzter said...

i love this poem as well. we studied this in school. and it really tells a valuable lesson. :D