Sunday, December 2, 2007

In Memoriam

November 30 will perhaps be forever etched in the hearts of all Albayanos as a day of immense tragedy and unprecedented destruction. Hundreds of people lost their lives that day, and even more saw their homes either partially or totally destroyed. Billions of pesos worth of property and agricultural crops were laid to waste as Reming swept through the province with 265 kph winds and torrential rains that induced lethal mudflows from Mayon's flanks.

Although our residence is not prone to floods, we also bore the full brunt of that supertyphoon. Our house was in ruins. Extremely strong winds brutally ripped the roof off of almost 1/2 of our house and flung the heavy timber and G.I. sheets a few hundred meters away. As the typhoon raged outside, all seven of us in the family cowered for almost 6 hours inside the bathroom fearing the worst and praying for the storm to end. The horrible, endless roar of the typhoon's raw power is one sound we probably can never forget.

Our living room, the morning after the typhoon

I still get goosebumps whenever I watch the video clips I took that day. Because I know that at the same time I was filming the typhoon's effects on our vicinity with my digital camera, hundreds were either dying or already dead in neighboring villages and towns, trapped under dark raging waters mixed with volcanic sand, boulders and debris.

But the winds died down, the rain stopped, and the sun shone again from behind the clouds. Now, one year later, my city and my province are back on their feet and still moving forward, displaying the admirable resilience that makes me proud to be an Albayano.

Here at home, a new glistening Christmas tree now stands in our living room, the same area that was destroyed by the typhoon. It is a symbol of hope and gratitude. After experiencing the worst Christmas ever last year, one appreciates more even simple things such as Christmas lights and tinsels.

I am thankful that we survived that huge calamity (although our favorite pet dog didn't) and I am praying that God's providence will protect us from future harm.

This post is in memory of the almost 1,000 victims of Typhoon Reming. May they find peace, warmth and comfort in the company of our Lord in Heaven.

No comments: