Friday, October 19, 2007

3D Model of Legazpi Railway Station

Finally, I have a new 3D Model created through Google Sketchup. It's been over a year since I made my last model (which has already been featured in Google Earth's Best of 3D Warehouse Layer) and at last, I now have a new one to add to my collection. Making this model was actually a spur of the moment. With all the bad news that came crashing down on me earlier today, I felt I needed a diversion. Hehe.

Well, I found myself ‘exploring’ my hometown, Legazpi, through Google Earth (which has updated its database of satellite imagery, recently, by the way) and I figured maybe it's time to make another 3D model of a Legazpi landmark.

I chose to create a model for the Legazpi Railway Station mainly because I thought the building is structurally simple and thus, easier to model. The building is also an important landmark because it is the southernmost terminus of the Philippine National Railways.

So there, I started making the model at, say, quarter past 8PM and finished it by 1AM, Haha. I’m a consummate geek when it comes to Sketchup; it must be the frustrated architect in me kicking in. I wanted a more detailed 3D model so I consulted some photos, courtesy of Yves, one of the city's best photographers.
The real thing

Of course, the model is only a rough approximation and it’s not really an accurate representation of the real building. That's because I relied mainly on common sense and my memory of this edifice, instead of actual measurements. There are slight mistakes that almost made me want to start from scratch. But overall, I think I made a fairly convincing 3D model. More importantly, I had fun making this model and was totally engrossed with it for a few hours.

If you have G. Earth please do visit our city and check out my new model. Legazpi now has seven 3D buildings on Google's 3D Warehouse; just activate the 3D Buildings mode so you can view them. Meanwhile, here are some more pictures of my 3D Legazpi Railway Station:

Close-up of facade
Front view
Rear view
On Google Earth

On Google Earth (with Mayon Volcano)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! this is impressive. perhaps, one of these days, animated virtual-people can be added.

john be anonymous said...

cool, so we'll be seing this on google earth soon? i been in Legazpi twice but missed to see this station. nice work on the 3D. I did 3D back in college and find it very interesting. btw, how's the mayon? hehe..

dex said...

Thanks! Yes, I hope it will be visible on Google Earth as soon as it gets featured in the 3D warehouse layer. Mayon is okay, peaceful as of the moment. hehe