Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Dex Recommends: Google SketchUp

When I first came across Google SketchUp, I was instantly hooked and eventually spent a few hours playing with it. As a self-confessed frustrated architect, I found in SketchUp an excellent outlet to vent my ‘frustrations’. Hehe. For those not familiar with SketchUp, it is a 3D modeling program distributed by Google, that is designed for professional architects, civil engineers, filmmakers, game developers, and other related professions.

Its relatively easy to use, flexible and intuitive interface also makes it widely used by kids, mainly as entertainment software. In Google SketchUp you can create 3D models of almost any object, most commonly houses and buildings. It uses a wide range of drawing tools and interactive functions that lets users create 3D models from scratch, ranging from the simple to the complex, complete with colors, textures, scenes and animations.

The best part about SketchUp is that it integrates seamlessly with Google Earth – which means you can create 3D models of existing buildings and display it on Google Earth or upload it to the Google 3D Warehouse, the library of 3D models created in SketchUp by users all over the world.

For my first SketchUp project, I attempted to create a 3D model of my school (elementary and high), St. Agnes’ Academy, since I have a fairly accurate memory of every nook and cranny of it, having spent more than 10 years there. It’s basically just a simple 3D model of the buildings' layout within the campus. However, it is not accurate since I did not rely on exact measurements of the campus’ dimensions but on the satellite imagery provided by Google Earth. It's not even finished yet - it lacks doors, windows, and other architectural details which I may not have the time and expertise to accomplish. Still, I think my 3D model fairly captures the distinct shapes and dimensions of the buildings.

St. Agnes' Academy

Simple 3D Model of St. Agnes' Academy

I uploaded my SAA model to the Google 3D Warehouse. When I have more time to waste I'll try to refine this model and maybe even create more 3D models. Currently, there are only five 3D models of buildings and landmarks in Legazpi City. The other models are by Neil, my co-forumer in SkyscraperCity. You can also check out other Philippine 3D models created using SketchUp. If you have the interest to create 3D models, and more importantly, if you’ve got a LOT of time in your hands and a ton of patience, try Google SketchUp. It’s fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

geeee!!! thanks for d post!architectural chuva fascinates me too hehehe! I really have to make one soon...tenchu!

dex said...

@christelle - Try making a 3D model of Legazpi landmarks hehe then upload it to the Google 3D Warehouse