Monday, May 5, 2008

My Mobile Phone History

I was browsing through a gadget blog when the idea for this post came to me. Since I've owned only a handful of mobile phones (which means I don't really have to write a very long post) and each mobile phone has a story behind it (no matter how inane, hehe) I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm not really a mobile phone freak. I had my first cellphone when I was already working (the only way to reach me before that was by calling our home phone or texting my Mom. lols), and I don't really change phones to keep up with trends. So, here's my mobile phone history (cue in the music, please lol)

Nokia 3210
Dec. 2003 - mid 2004
Current location: Unknown

My very first mobile phone was the heavy and chunky N3210. Yes, the phone that almost weighs like a brick and can actually double as a weapon. It was a hand-me-down from my brother. No, wait - I think I actually bought the damn thing from him. Haha. Although the phone served me well, I really hated lugging that brick around. Anyway, the phone must have really disliked me too because one rainy night while I was commuting to the office, It quietly slipped from my pocket and left me forever. So far, It's the only phone I lost. RIP.

Nokia 3330
Nov. 2004 - Dec. 2005
Current Incarnation: Ma's other mobile phone

I replaced the ill-fated N3210 with another hand-me-down, a 'pre-loved' Nokia 3330 bought for a princely sum of P1,000. Yeah, I know I'm a cheapskate. Haha. I went through a lot of good and bad times, upheavals and lulls, while I had this phone, all sheathed in black with an electric blue backlight. When I eventually decided to move on with a 'new' phone, my mom claimed it as her own. I still use it sometimes when I 'steal' load credits. *grin*

Motorola C650
Dec. 2005 - Oct. 2006
Current Location: Somewhere in Legazpi

My colleague Mydz (who by the way is the real cell phone aficionado, lols) sold this phone to me back in mid-2006, yet another pre-loved phone. It was my first color phone with camera. The phone was OK except for the stupid joystick that kept breaking. After spending too much for repairs, I just had to get rid of it. I don't remember to whom I had it sold, though.

Nokia 2100
Oct 2006 - Dec. 2006
Current Location: Unknown

I found myself phone-less after I disposed of the C650. With funds running low, I had to settle for a low-key, second-hand Nokia 2100 that my co-worker was selling. This phone is memorable because I had it with me while that deadly typhoon was raging back in Nov. 2006. My brother claimed it when I had a new phone. I don't know where it is now. lols

Nokia 6680
Dec. 2006 - Feb. 2008
Current Location: Somewhere in Greenhills

Mydz (again!) was the middleman when I bought this phone from my colleague's sister, who turned out to be a batchmate back in HS. I know, another second-hand phone. hehe. The N6680 was the most expensive phone I shelled out money for. I had to pay for it in installments though, so it wasn't really that heavy on the pocket. I had fun tinkering with the N6680 with its Symbian 60 OS, 1.3MP dual camera, and 3G-capabilities. The phone also served me well as an MP3 player. My only gripe was the phone's hefty size.

Nokia 5310 XpressMusic
Feb. 2008 - Present
Current Location: Somewhere under my pillow

I didn't really intend to replace the N6680 because it was still working fine. But a quick sidetrip to Greenhills woke the impulse buyer in me (that place is evil, lol). I was immediately attracted to the 5310 with its sleek design. Placing the 6680 and the 5310 side by side convinced me in favor of the latter. So I traded in the old and bulky for the sleek and slim. I'm glad I did because the phone is just perfect for me. It's lightweight and thin but durable and still offering the features I need especially the MP3 player and camera.

So there, you've just wasted a few minutes getting intimate with my mobile phone history. Haha. How about you, what is your mobile phone history?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ummm, I haven't been to greenhills but if you say it's evil, i won't go there then. I heard they have a lot of shoes and bags. shoot. i relly shouldn't go there.hehe

Abby said...

biglang napaisip din ako kan mga naging cellphone ko..=)

dex said...

hehe. Hi abby, salamat sa pagbisita. ingats dyan!

- maida - said...

hmmm...anong somewhere in greenhills itong 6680?...somewhere in MOA ito...haha...sa restaurant ni sharon cuneta...

gri gsto ko man lugod maggibo ki blog na rog kaini...haha...pirang pages daw ang abuton...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I had a Philips Savvy (which my son plays with now), a 5110 (sold to our helper), 3350 (also sold to another helper), Smartphone (which I gave to my Tito), 1100 (still functioning), and Alcatel OT something (gathering dust at home). Hehe.

You may want to buy my Alcatel... :p

. said...

ay ang galing galing.. ako din gagawa ng history ng fone ko.. harharhar...