Thursday, January 17, 2008

Tagged: Why Do I Blog?

I'm supposed to be working on some pending projects here at home, but my mind is wandering somewhere else. I just can't focus. Argh. I guess I need a break from working on the same old stuff for weeks. So for the meantime, while I refresh my mind, I'll answer this tag from Neil, a co-forumer from SkyscraperCity.

How long have you been blogging?

My blogging experience has been intermittent at best. I first had something that resembled a blog back in late 2004 via the old Blogger. It's dead now. Hehe. I simply wasn't able to maintain it and it died of neglect. Between '04 and '06, I made several attempts to start blogging again but somehow I just couldn't keep it going.

In 2006 I had an anonymous blog at WordPress - I opted for anonymity because I had some quite personal stuff going on there. But that blog is dead too. Hehe. I guess I'm not really at ease having too personal blog posts for everyone to feast on. The current incarnation of my blog is doing well, I think. I started posting stuff two years ago and It's still alive. Hehe.

What inspired you to start a blog and who are your mentors?

A lot of things inspired me (and continue to inspire me) to blog, or generally, to write. Maybe the most important reasons that motivate me to write is the yearning for self-expression and creativity. For the past few years, writing has become my life - because it is my job and it pays the bills. But writing out of necessity is never as fulfilling as writing to express one's thoughts and to explore and share things that are interesting for me. Thus, I blog.

I don't remember having any blogging mentors.

Are you trying to make money online, or just doing it for fun?

It is tempting to monetize a blog, but this is still first and foremost a personal blog. I simply love writing stuff and sharing them to anyone who cares to read.

Cheesy as it may sound, I do get a sense of fulfillment in the simple joy of having people read and relate with my posts. It feels great when people leave a comment or two. I'm happy when my blog gets good traffic or when one of my posts appear on top of search engine results. Even though I have been a part of the SEO industry for more than four years now as a web copywriter, I'm still basically a newbie blogger, and all of this fascinates me. I still have a lot to learn.

For the meantime, I'll stick only with AdSense on this blog and skip the other revenue-generating stuff. If I get clicks on my ads, that's great. If I don't, that's fine with me too.

Tell me three things you love about being online.
  1. I have access to a vast wealth of information and news. For someone who used to pore over encyclopedias, the internet is nirvana.
  2. I get to interact with and learn from interesting people through forums and other blogs.
  3. I get to download stuff. (Hey, don't give me that look, LOL)
Tell me three things you struggle within the online world.
  1. Hmm, I 'struggle' with updating my blog regularly too.
  2. I'm struggling.... to answer this last question.
  3. I'm struggling to keep my eyes open.
Guess it's time to hit the sack. But before I do, I ask Homar, Phoebe, Cristel, Richard, and Abby to continue this tag/meme. Just ignore if you've done this before. Good Night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi dex, tnx for mentioning me. you can count on it. the meme will live on!

by the way, your link to my blog is not updated. i have already transfered to a new address.

Anonymous said...

pag mabagal an connection, aram na kun siisay an prime suspect...

Anonymous said...

hi dex, i also continued the tag...God bless, more power to your work..

dex said...

thanks @abby!
@homar, I download large files only when I'm at home. So I'm innocent, okay? haha

Anonymous said...

whew! I finally made it...tnx for this meme sir dex.