Thursday, September 13, 2007

I wish I knew how to...

There are several things I wish I knew how to do, talents and skills I wish I had. Often, when I see other people do stuff that just blows me away, I get stirred up not only with admiration but also with a teensy-weensy bit of envy (ok, maybe a lot actually hehe). Here’s a skill or talent I look up to in other people. I wish I knew how to...

...play the piano, guitar or the violin. If I can I have my way, I’d love to learn how to play any of these three instruments. I guess it might be too late because my fingers are already as stiff as crowbars. Haha. Good pianists, guitarists and violinists start young right? I tried to learn playing guitar but wasn’t really committed to learning, which is a shame because my two older brothers are adept at playing guitar. If I only I put my heart into it, I might have learned.

Meanwhile, if I only knew piano or the violin, I would have loved to play Pachelbel’s Canon in D or maybe a nocturne by Chopin. Too bad…guess I'd have to satisfy myself just by humming along to the music.

Anyway, the only musical instrument I ever learned to play with a respectable degree of skill is… the bamboo flute. Yes, those ubiquitous flutes you can find in almost every mall. It was a pasalubong from my Mom. I actually mastered most of the songs on the booklet that came with the flute. Even if it has been years since I last played a tune on a flute, I think I can still do it.

It's cool but the only problem is that I can never ever, even if I try with all my heart and soul, sing along while playing the flute. Can I? Haha. So, to anyone who can play the piano, the violin or the guitar well, you’re lucky. It’s cool. :-)

6 comments:

Lanilane Ocbina (chibi) said...

di pa huli ang lahat sir dex.ahihi... i started playing the guitar when i was 16. tapos piano when i was 19..hindi man kailangang bumalik sa pagka sanggol para matuto.hihi. mg 2 days na hawak mo ang gitara (gawing unan sa pagtulog wahek)malalaos mo nyan si nyoy volante..ahihi...sa piano weh! sa ilang taon kang nagtatype sa harap ng computer malambot na ang mga daliri mo diba. mga 5 minutes marunong kana nyan. gifted child? hehe

anyway, im not that good naman sa pagtugtog. so i don't have the authority to talk about instruments.ahihi

Nk. said...

my mom actually bought me a guitar (in the hope of me becoming musically-inclined like my cousins) when i was in high school. i tried learning but i guess my fingers are meant for...other things. LOLs.

dex said...

@chibi yeah, maybe i can still learn. but you're good at it, i saw your videos. you have the talent. :-)

@niki aw, sayang. btw, what 'other things'? lol

there has always been a guitar here at home but the neck/fret area is too big and the strings too thick for me. ang hirap pag aralan ang mga chords. kaya siguro i stopped dabbling with it.

dean said...

basta hindi pa huli ang lahat...


check this out

dex said...

@dean galing ah..thanks!

Unknown said...

dont get too ambitious, you only have two hands and you are such a prolific writer!

Joke, never too late dude. If there's a will, there's a way...

hmm, what about the "other things"?